Re: [ST] Rear rack

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Eric Mann wrote:

> OK, I am thinking of adding the rear rack to the ST in hopes of some day
> adding the rear box.  Anyway, what is a decent price for these?  Are they
> easy to install?  And what is the best place to get them?

Hard to say what a decent price is Eric, I was lucky enough to find
someone selling one slightly used for less than retail.  I was in a hurry
for it for a trip so it worked out well.  Why is it I'm always in a hurry
for something for a trip?  Har!

Anyway as I recall, installation wasn't too bad, but wasn't cake as the
reinforcing bars you slide into the subframe around your seat lock latch
area was a bit of a bear, something about one of the bars being a little
off.

Also, I'm not sure where I picked it up, perhaps on of the FAQ's or in the
archive, but do the tip where instead of putting in the rear bolts for the
rack as normal, you install them inverted from the bottom, it really makes
removing the rack a ton easier should you you need to remove the rear cowl
as I did lately.  Make reinstallation a snap as well since you're not
trying to put nuts on those bolts from the bottom.

As a side note, I used a Givi plate mated to the Triumph rack with the
little kit from T, works well with my E460 topcase.  Waterproof rugged
Givi which is a bunch cheaper than the T box, FYI.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail