RE: [ST] Front disks loose

Barry wrote:

> It's rotational. you'll see for yourself when you go pillion on Sat!
> But why would they be manufactured loose? Surely it decreases their
> efficiency? Or is to allow for expansion when they get hot?

The discs on most (all?) Triumphs are floating. So they're free (except for
a spring washer) to move from side to side. I guess they had a certain level
of manufacturing tolerance there to make sure they were free to move from
side to side. 0.5mm sounds like an acceptable amount of movement to me. Also
like you mentioned you've got to allow for different parts reacting
differently to heat.

Phil
'02 S3