Re: [ST] Non-premium fuel

At 11:19 AM 15/09/02 +1000, you wrote:
Hello,

I have just filled up my 02 RS with normal unleaded (not premium) and have
noticed that when I strain the engine a bit, like accelerating from a
reasonably slow speed in 3rd, the engine makes a pinging/ rattling noise as
it picks up the revs.

Hi Stuart,

RTFM. Triumph recommends minimum 95 RON, that's about 90 octane (R+M)/2 on
the scale we use in North America. Use 90 octane plus ALWAYS or risk the
consequences of pre-ignition--holed pistons, trashed spark plugs etc.

  I usually run the bike with premium fuel and do not
>have this problem. Obviously the solution is going to be to run this tank
>out and fill up with premium, then see if it improves

No. Top up with the highest octane you can get (94?) at your earliest
opportunity.

Hope this helps,

Robert Smith--Freelance Writer
Ladner, BC