[ST] octane

>RTFM. Triumph recommends minimum 95 RON, that's about 90 octane (R+M)/2 on
the scale we use in North America. Use 90 octane plus ALWAYS or risk the
consequences of pre-ignition--holed pistons, trashed spark plugs etc.<<

Wow, Am I in THAT kind of danger?? I was told by a Triumph rep that 89
octane [(R=M)/2 method]is the equivalent of 95RON. I've got 33,500 miles on
my bike, it's out of warranty, and now I'm told I'm trashing my engine? Holy
shit.

Honestly, the few times I've HAD to put 87 octane fuel in (remote areas of
Vermont, no choice), I've never heard any pinging. I've also run lots of
Sunoco 94 octane, with zero noticeable increase in performance.

Oh drat, what to do.....who to listen to?

Ken M.
'00 RS

The reality of it all is to run the lowest octane gas that does not ping in
your motor.
I run mid grade stuff in my RS and I get better mileage and better plug life
than with premium gas. Higher octane gas burns slower to reduce pinging
(detonation) and consequently some of it goes out the exhaust, so you need a
quicker burning fuel to allow more use of it in the combustion chamber, with
better mileage being the advantage and it also keeps the plugs cleaner.
Contrary to popuar belief, High octane itself does not imprve performance
one iota. High octane racing fuel has other additives in it to improve
performance. High octane pump gas does not have these additives.
Bare