Re: [ST] Non-premium fuel

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Matt Knowles wrote:

> >  The engine has a 12:1 compression ratio. Only premium will do.
>
> Mid grade will work just fine too and save you some money.

I'd been running premium (92) earlier in the year, and got ~52 mpg on a
trip to Arkansas.  Most of the summer on some shorter trips ran midgrade
(89) and saw low 40's in the mpg.  On a trip this past weekend to GA went
back to premium to see if it made any difference and I was back in the low
50's again.  Another possible factor is that I did an oil change right
before Arkansas and right before GA.

I also noticed the low gas light doesn't come on at about 140 miles with
midgrade, comes on more like 170-180 miles with premium, what's up with
that?

I think some real record keeping and testing is in order here as these are
just casual observations at best.  Gotta see if they stand up, but thought
I'd throw it out there to see if anyone else noticed improvement.

BTW, riding down around the Great Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park is a mind
blower.  It was my first trip down there, got to Deal's Gap, Foothills
Pkwy, Rt 28, etc. and all I can say is wow!

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail