Re: [ST] Gear ratios year to year

> From: "Louis Jiannine" <LouJ9@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] Gear ratios year to year
>
> Smaller radius leading to tighter turn, fewer teeth to carry the
> load at any
> once instant, fewer teeth carry the load over time, all reasons to avoid
> small countershaft sprockets.  The generally accepted view is that an odd
> number of teeth is better but I don't have personal experience to
> back that
> up.
>
> LouJ9

I think with a decent quality sprocket and chain it won't make a noticeable
difference. Don't fall victim to the small sprocket fearmongers.

I do have experience with the odd vs. even front sprocket, it did wear a bit
funny, if you were worried about it(I wasn't), it would be easy enough to
loosen the chain and rotate the front sprocket forward one tooth.

Thanks
Stu

End of st-digest V2002 #543