From: Stuart Mumford s2mumford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:51:57 -0700
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Gear ratios year to year

> From: "Louis Jiannine" <LouJ9@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [ST] Gear ratios year to year
>
> Smaller radius leading to tighter turn, fewer teeth to carry the
> load at any
> once instant, fewer teeth carry the load over time, all reasons to avoid
> small countershaft sprockets.  The generally accepted view is that an odd
> number of teeth is better but I don't have personal experience to
> back that
> up.
>
> LouJ9

I think with a decent quality sprocket and chain it won't make a noticeable
difference. Don't fall victim to the small sprocket fearmongers.

I do have experience with the odd vs. even front sprocket, it did wear a bit
funny, if you were worried about it(I wasn't), it would be easy enough to
loosen the chain and rotate the front sprocket forward one tooth.

Thanks
Stu

*

http://mail2web.com/ .