[ST] Wow! Rear pad change surprise

Well, I got my rear pads changed yesterday. As it turns out, I was able to
fit my normal socket driver it there (I think its 6") and get at both bolts
without much monkeying. I did find that in order to get the caliper out into
workerable space I had to revove the chain guard. I would reccommend to
anyone to simply remove the chain guard first, as that opens up a bunch of
room to get at the caliper mounting bolts. Duh.

Anyway, I was quite surprised at the condition of the old pads. The old pads
were the OEM pads and had never been changed in 19K miles. One pad was worn
completely away and should have been replaced at least 5K miles ago. The
other was still pretty damn new looking. When compared to the new pads, I
could hardly tell a difference! A couple of picture posts to follow.

My theory is that my Scottoiler has been dripping a little too much chain
lube and its flinging onto the disk. The pad that wasn't worn is on that
side of the disk. The wear bars were fully compacted with grease and sludge.

After changing the pads, I gave the disk a good washing with engine
degreaser, followed by a good rise, then a thorough wiping. A brief test
with the new pads and clean disk in my driveway showed no difference in rear
braking power...just as mushy as before. Coudln't lock up the rear if my
life depended on it.

For now, I turned my oiler down to almost off to see if that makes a
difference in pad wear. I really like the convenience of the scottoiler and
don't want to give it up. Even with the uneven pad wear, the brakes have
done what I need them to do--scrub speed off when I enter a curve to fast
and help settle the bike during braking while the front brakes and engine
compression actually do the stopping. I may just choose to live with uneven
wear and keep the oiler.

- -Chris Strizver