[ST] Spray of Gasoline

I was ambling through the countryside on my 2001 BRG Sprint ST thinking this
thing is great!  I am going to go all over the country.  Little did I know
that a ways back my girlfriend on her Bimota was thinking that something
really smells like gas, It doesn't seem to be my bike.  Well when we got to
out destination for lunch she remarked that some fluid is really pouring our
your bike and pointing to just below the gastank.  Well there was a huge
puddle where I stopped and a good size trail of gasoline on the street
behind me.

I shut it down and found a fractured plastic quick release fitting.  It
seems to have failed where the groove for the locking clip was cut (or
molded) I also observed that a great deal of force was applied to this
fitting from the attached hose.  I had pretty much a full tank at the start
of this 30 mile ride and now it was almost empty.  After the fitting
completely fractured, it appears that the plastic at the area of failure was
as thin as the thinnest of hairs.  Jury rigging seemed impossible so I
called my friend who arrived with his pickup truck and some ramps.

I am sure this part is under warrantee, Has it been improved?  I don't want
another one of the same design.  I remember the posts about the guy in
california who makes a similar one from metal.  I will be calling him I
think. I assume this fitting will fit the same hole and locking mechanism.
The hose clamp seem non-reusable.  Would a traditional hose clamp be ok?
Any reccomendation?

This seems like a fairly dangerous problem.  Do you think TOA will assist in
my purchase of a more serviceable part then they manufacture.  What about my
mental anguish as I sat on my bike in the back of a pickup truck, with
children in passing cars pointing at me and staring, people on Harley's
roaring by, noting the name on the tank?  Not to mention the grins of a
certain Bimota pilot as she gleefully strafed me, challenging me to a race.