Re: [ST] first time

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Linda Wood wrote:

> I have to remove the wheels to replace the tyres. Is the rear removal
> just a case of undoing the large nut & clip on the right side then
> slipping the wheel out or what?

Yes Don, that's pretty much it for the rear, but as Blake mentioned you'll
want to remove the silencer first, easy deal.  As Blake mentioned keep the
washers/spacers it the right order and note the dished washer's
orientation...

Another tip that makes it a bit easier, use a rear paddock stand, or if
you don't have one of those, elevate the bike a bit by slipping a piece of
wood such as a 2x4 under the center stand (but be careful raising her!) as
this added inch or so makes it easier to drop and rotate the wheel out,
especially if you have the pannier brackets.  Loosening that right bracket
so that there's a little play helps too.

I think I picked it up from the FAQ somewhere, but basically what you do
is, looking at the bike from the rear, drop the wheel off the cush drive
then rotate it to a perpendicular angle, bottom of the wheel heading out
toward the floor and to the right where the can used to be, top of the
wheel dropping down to where the bottom used to be.  Hope that
"twist" makes sense.

Last time I had the rear off to do the brake pads I couldn't for the life
of me figure out why taking it off and putting it on was so much harder
this time, it was that extra inch my paddock stand gave me that wasn't
there, as I just had it on the center stand.

Oh yeah, and on the front you'll have to displace the calipers and be
mindful of the speedo drive during removal/reinstallation.  It's a good
idea to clean/lube the speedo drive with some white lithium grease while
there, the front axle too.

FWIW, HIH, standard disclaimers apply, yada yada yada.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail