Re: [ST] Standard Maintainance Question??

Man we have a great resource of experience and answers out there!

I'll second the info on coolant, I use the Honda premix.  Have had a
couple of wierd experiences with the Honda coolant concentrate but never
with the premix.  Have heard of folks killing water pumps using automotive
coolant, the silicates caused the damage.

I had a similar problem with the front brakes feeling like they were
pulsing a little that last 5mph during a stop.  Then I noticed that when
braking at speed, say slowing a little for a turn, I'd see the mirrors
"dance" but not feel anything.  A friend made me a mount for a dial gauge
out of resin that we could screw the base arm into and zip tie the block
to the fork.  This let me see the variances on the rotors while spinning
the wheel...one of the rotors variance was beyond spec indicating
warpage.  Replaced with EBC rotors, problem gone.

Think you got the tips on the coolant flush, especially getting some new
crush washers.  If you do flush with tap water from a garden hose be sure
to dump a couple of gallons of distilled water through to chase out the
tap water...I just used the distilled water when doing a change myself.

Are there any of the extended life coolants out there that are safe for us
to use?  Sure would like to get out of that chore!

And does anyone know if the new "combo" DOTs brake fluid is safe to
use?  I can't remember now what I saw but it was either 3 & 4 or 4 & 5
stuff by Prestone I think.

Don't forget to check the condition of the speedo sender while you've got
the wheel off, water gets in there and erodes the lubricant between the
magnetic cyclinder and the housing which can lead to a seizing.  Gently
prise out the magnetic cylinder and you can clean it up, clean up the
housing, and lube things with a little white lithium grease.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail

End of st-digest V2002 #919