Re: [ST] [RS] Forks on the Road

Right now I have the front preload adjusters pretty much flush with the
top caps and the rear preload on max.  The front and rear are pretty
well balanced and the ride is not too harsh for my tastes.  the front
suffers from too much brake dive, though.

My limited experience with spring changes is on my Mustang.  Changing
from progressive-rate springs to a moderate constant-rate spring
resulted in a better ride and flatter cornering, plus less weight
transfer front to rear during, ahem, spirited driving.  I believe the RS
will work the same way.  Less preload means less initial impact
harshness, but a higher, constant rate means less suspension movement
for any bump.  Or, it could, if done properly.  I believe that is why
everybody likes the Racetech front springs.

Well, I'm all over the Racetech springs (after April 15 and my furnace
replacement), but that will create an unbalance front to rear.

Bil Swartz wrote:

> What would a stiffer spring do for us?  I'm about 210 sans gear/bags and
> don't like cranking up the preload either.  Makes the bike get all squirmy
> if I'm behind a truck or something that makes for a large "wash".

   If a stiffer spring is the answer, do tell!

> aTdHvAaNnKcSe,

- --
John Albright
'02 RS