[ST] gear box

I've got a '01 Brg ST that has 7k miles on it and it seems like there's something wrong with the gear box.  How is the gear box supposed to sound and feel when shifting?  Most times, shifting results in a notable "pop" when shifting about about 3-4k RPM though shifting at higher RPM's does not produce the same sound.  This poping noise is typical of 1st and 2nd gear for the most part.  As I down shift approaching a red light, the gear box pops from all gears going down.

The dealer in the area says that this is typical and that 'I SHOULD be' shifting at higher RPM's. Any thoughts???

I'm also seeing a higher frequency of "neutral shifts".  It mostly happened during low RPM shifts and I had thought that I may not have shifted with confidence from 1st to 2nd when it ends up in neutral.

It then happened a couple of times in hard acceleration shifting at 8k RPM from 1st to 2nd..

Any thoughts on this?  Most motorcycles I've looked at for comparison on how the shifter feels during shifting are a GREAT deal more smooth -- "like butta".

Rene
DeBary FL
'01 Brg ST