[ST] Gear Box

Hello all,

A couple of years ago I was several hundred miles from home, with lots of
stops and starts between there and my home, when my clutch cable broke.  It
being a late Sunday afternoon, nothing was open so I could jury rig a repair,
so I power shifted while in motion (no problem there), and when I had to stop
I'd try to find neutral or just coast to a stop and stall.  Starting up was a
matter of getting the bike into first, hitting the starter and  paddling
along until it was running.  I was very, very worried about what this did to
my transmission, starter, etc., but my dealer, whom I trust (Great Bay
Motorcycles) told me that he had seen much greater abuse on Triumph trannies
with no noticeable problems, and mentioned that the trannied is designed much
like a tractors (that explains the John Deer impression the bike makes at a
stop light).  This makes it very strong, but also explains why they are
rough.  A give and take he said, but he'd prefer the stronger over the
smoother.  I concur.

I changed the oil immediately after getting a new clutch cable, and 8,000
miles later the trannie is definately getting smoother.  As a note, I cut
apart the filter, expecting to see metal bits after my incident, nothing was
in there, and a magnet only picked up dusty material, no "fuzz".

Sean Dougherty
'01 BRG ST
'98 XR400 w/ lights

End of st-digest V2002 #923