Re: [ST] synchros, Rossi flat tracking

the gears are constant mesh, but the splined collars or dogs that slide
back and forth to 'connect' the gear to the shaft it is rotating on, have
to deal with the significantly different rotating speed of the next gear
set; the 'clunk' is the dog absorbing the inertia of the mismatch in rpm
of the [up or down] gear set.

in old car trannies we double clutched to get the gears matched in rpm. in
bikes we can feather the throttle to match the down change [like the
technique of holding the throttle steady and momentarily fanning the
clutch while we kick down - so the unloaded engine revs a touch and the
dogs slide home]. compare that result to the red-light scenario of
shutting off the throttle, pulling in the clutch, and shifting down from
6th to 1st: clunk, clunk, clunk...

the amazing Rossi minuet [ http://www.yzf-r1forum.com/rossi.html ]: back
in that land far ago, a couple of friends and i left Staunton, Va for a
ride in the hills. i was a visitor on my 650 Triumph, one of the BSA
locals led. before we even got to the hills, i got frustrated with the
slow pace [ahhh, youth...], so i kicked down and gassed it around him.

he was slowing down because the road was making a 90 degree turn around
the corner of a pasture.

my old desert racer mentor had instilled this wisdom in me: when in doubt,
hit the gas.

did i mention my old TR6C was equipped with Trials Universal Dunlops?

i flat tracked around that asphalt corner like Gary Nixon. the Tr never
bobbled. the BSA guy was impressed - until i told him i had never hung the
rear out before, it was an accident.

they gave me pretty wide berth after that.

cheers
bp

End of st-digest V2002 #925