Re: [ST] Planning Motorcycle Tour - What do I bring?

> I've never lost my key, but I know people who have
> been greatly inconvenienced by doing that =)

One of our club members broke his key off in the gas cap lock.
Major PITA, compounded by the fact that we were way closer to
Boise, Idaho than to Portland!

I resemble that remark, too :o).  Here's my tale from last July:

Sunday morning, early.  Headed out on the ST to pick up our
daughter.  Destination: "Triumph Day" at Portland International
Raceway.

Hmmm, better stop for gas.  Those pulls down PIR's long straights
really suck it down.  I pull into the otherwise empty station &
the attendant is on me before I come to a stop.  This guy is
really eager!

"Morning,"  sez I as I dismount.  "It'll be the mid-grade.  Give
me a moment."  I pop her up on the center stand and peel back the
tankbag.  By this time 'Eager' is thrusting the nozzle into my
hand.*  I still haven't got the gas cap open but manage to keep
him from customizing the bike with the nozzle tip while I'm
unlocking the cap.  'Eager' is squeezed between me & the pump,
talking the whole time.  I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't
have stopped a bit further away, like at the next station.

After adding gas, I close the cap and hand back the nozzle.
'Eager' turns, bumping my elbow as I'm pulling the key from the
gas cap.  I drop the key which passes cleanly between the side
fairing and the frame.  DAMN!

Looking under the bike is wishful thinking.  I push it over to
the side & start peering into the bowels of the machine.  I even
give the lower fairing a few hopeful smacks.  Reaching into
various openings rewards me with mild burns.  Guess I'll have to
remove the side panel. . .  But the tool kit's under the seat. .
.
DOUBLE DAMN!!

After a few deep, cleansing breaths, I start thinking more
clearly.  Fortunately, my lovely wife Joyce is home and I have a
cel phone.  Twenty minutes later, she shows up with the spare
key, a flashlight and other implements of exploration.  It felt
like an hour, what with 'Eager' entertaining me with stories of
his life and his sidekick, who "used to work" at the local
motorcycle mega superstore, offering helpful advice.  After
removing the fairing panel I finally discover the key lurking in
the belly pan.

Later, I realize that I've had a much better gravity event than
many have reported lately. . .  And in the future I'll carry a
spare key!

- -Rick in Oregon - '01 Sprint ST
TRAP -Triumph Riders Assn.
of Portland www.rat-pack.com

* FWIW, Oregon is one of two states which still won't allow
motorists to pump their own gas.  Thanks to some
motorcycle-friendly State Legislators and the Governor, this year
we have a new law which allows motorcyclists, but not motorists,
to be handed the nozzle by the attendent and to fill our own
tanks.  Even though most stations have pay-at-the-pump
capability, we're apparently not yet competent to perform that
operation.  The "privilege" of having this "service" probably
costs us 5-10 cents a gallon :o|.

End of st-digest V2002 #947