Re: [ST] No, it's not fate.

> One bolt (on the top row, near center) was weeping gas.
> I tightened it some, but was afraid to over tighten it into
> a plastic tank.  This slowed the rate by ~2/3, but did
> not stop the leak.  Does anyone know what these bolts
> thread into inside the tank, and what their rated torque
> should be?

John,
There are threaded brass inserts molded into the tank.  Suggest
you snug up all of the accessable bolts.  I don't have access to
a manual here so I can't be sure but I *think* the torque spec.
is 7nm.  That's ~5 ft/lbs or 61 inch/lbs.  Anyone got a manual
handy?

If you don't have a torque wrench intended for torques in this
range, use a nutdriver to avoid overtightening.    If tightening
doesn't stop the leak, the gasket behind the plate is
replaceable.  Ping me off-list if you want/need more detailed R&R
information.

You might want to contact your dealer on this issue, though.  In
my experience, Triumph is pretty good at taking care of
safety-related problems, even after the warranty has expired.
Good luck.

> On a side note, it appears that my airbox made a
> cosy mouse nest for the winter.  :-(

This is a big problem with T-3's which have horizontal airbox
inlet tubes beneath the rear side panels.  I've used cable ties
to secure plastic mesh (intended for leaf exclusion on house
gutters (aka eave troughs)) over the tube inlets.  This helps
keep the critters homeless.
- --
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST