[ST] Running problem with RS when hot

I am having a problem with my 2000 RS. When I go for a ride of more than 5 -
10 miles and then do some town riding, low speed and plenty of stops and
starts, it seems to be reluctant to idle with a tendancy to stall if I allow
the revs to drop much below 2500rpm.
This only manifests itself around town and it seems to run fine when I am on
the open road.
I hadn't ridden for a while due to a prolapsed disk and have been gently
easing my way back into the saddle, however I don't recall it doing this
before. I do try to avoid riding in town as a rule but have been forced to
mix it with rest of humanity recently.
 It has been warmer than usual in England recently and the coolant temp does
seem to head a smidgen over 100 deg C before the fans can pull the temp back
down, again this only happens during stop start riding and I tend to believe
this is normal.
Has anyone else had similar problems with running?
Any advice would be welcome
Cheers
Pete