From: David Pullen
Subject: [ST] ST transmission/chain 'catch'

Hi all,

In riding around today, I was reminded of an oddity in the behavior of my
ST, and wanted to see if this is common or not.

When I am coasting with the clutch engaged or using transmission braking,
and then I start on the accelerator, there is a discernable 'clunk' and
catch in the driveline.  This is very pronounced in lower gears.

I don't believe my chain is loose; there is no noticeable sag anywhere.

If I have the clutch disengaged and then start on the throttle, I don't
believe I get the same behavior.

Does anyone else experience this?  Is this just the nature of a chain-driven
bike?  This is my first, so I don't really have anything to base a
comparison on.

Thanks,
  - Dave

'03 ST