Re: [ST] Brake pulsing

I used to have the same problem.  This explanation might not make sense, but
it's what I went through.

I had the 'pulsing' problem, I thought it was the brakes.  But I wasn't
convinced, because when I would brake and feel the shuddering, sometimes I
could let off and then brake hard again and the shuddering wasn't there.
Weird.  At first I thought that if it wasn't the brakes, maybe it was my
unevenly worn front tire (it started to get an uneven wear pattern in the
center).  But that wouldn't explain the on / off behavior.

Around this time I started to notice how the front brakes really lacked
power.  16k miles on the machine.  So taking the advice of fellow listers, I
cleaned the front brake pistons (little bit of brake cleaner, toothbrush, a
rag, and some squeezing out / forcing in of the pistons).  I also put on a
brand new front tire.

Results:  No more shuddering, (and much more powerful brakes now).  I don't
think changing the front tire fixed anything, it would have been nice to do
the tire and brakes separately just to see, but I like to keep the tinkering
to a minimum and the riding to a maximum.  Theory: the same problem which
causes weak brakes after time (dust buildup, causing pistons to stick) also
caused my brake shuddering.  The pistons were sometimes not squeezing the
pads evenly, which gave the pads enough room to move around and vibrate.

Just an idea, but I do know that my problems are 'fixed' for now.  I'll just
keep cleaning the pistons on a regular basis.

Mark Collett

Proverbs 3:5,6