Re: [ST] Longer Cables [long reply]

Doug,
Welcome to the world of the ST with a 'standard' [some would say
'barcalounger'] riding position.  I have the same setup, minus the
GenMars and I was able to reroute and use the stock clutch and
throttle cables.  It was only necessary to install a longer front
brake hose.  I just went out and checked my ST.  I could be wrong
here, but it looks as if the routing would work with the additional
rise of the GenMars.
Here's what I did:
Clutch - I routed the cable over the top and then to the rear of the
bars.  It arcs down through the gap between the frame and fairing on
the rt. side, above and to the rear of the fairing support bracket, to
which its secured.  At the clutch lever end, the angled steel tube is
secured to the handlebar using two standoffs made from appropriate
lengths [3/4 - 1"] of heavy-wall fuel hose and wire ties.  To make
these standoffs, you pass the tie through the hose, around the bar,
back through the hose and around the cable.  If you use black hose and
wire ties, it looks good.  I hardly notice mine any more.  I have a
number of detail pics of this routing if you're interested.

Throttle - The key is to not route the cable through the bail at the
lt. side of the radiator, allowing it to 'float' as the bike is
steered.  I wire-tied a length of hose over the cable to protect it
from chafing on the top of the radiator.

One additional note:  After my conversion, I noted a tendancy for the
front end to run a bit wide when pushed hard through mid to high speed
turns.  This is likely due to the more rearward weight bias and my
relatively light [180#] riding weight.  To counteract this, I raised
the forks in the triple clamps,  settling on 12mm showing above the
stock bar mounts [or the Heli's adaptors without the risers].  The
bike is totally stable, even when two-up at triple digit speeds [on
the race track, of course ;-].

Next project:  Lower foot pegs.  Any ideas out there?
- --
HTH,
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST

> Does anyone know of a model Triumph (or other brand) cables
> which will work on the ST but are longer? I'm using HeliBar
> handlebar adapters with Genmar risers installed underneath
> along with Suzuki Bandit 1200 bars. I rerouted the stock cables
> but they are still a bit short at full lock.

End of st-digest V2002 #1397