[ST] Re: Brake Pulsing

Last time I took my ST for its annual service, I was told that I'd probably need new front rotors to pass the MOT inspection next year.  This will be the second set of new rotors in about 35,000 miles on my 99 ST.

The chap in the workshop told me that on previous model Triumphs, some were more prone to rotor warping than others because the places where the rotor was bolted onto the wheel were a number of separate flats that were not quite level.  He said the ST/RS shouldn't have this problem because the mounting face on the wheel is one flat area.  However, if it isn't cleaned well before mounting a new rotor, or if somehow it's not flat from the factory, the rotors might warp more easily.

So if you're changing rotors, make sure the mounting surface is very clean and if you have to change rotors more often than is normal, you might want to check the mounting surface with a dial gauge to see if its flat.

The other thing that listers have suggested checking is steering head bearings, to make sure they're not loose.

I'd give you a better description, but I'm in Shanghai and the bike's in Scotland...

Neil