Re: [ST] Night riding

Marc - it might be helpful to indentify the specific things that contribute
to these symptoms.

For instance:
P: Driving faster than your headlights.
A: This happens to me too and makes me not look ahead as much as I should.
At times I put on my high beams but realize this is not always idea.  Others
have put in brigther headlights and/or raised the aiming point of their
lights.

P: Unclear visor due to scratches, rain, film, fogging, etc. makes it hard
to pick out visual cues or focus ahead.
A: This happens to me a lot at night, esp the fogging/rain mist bit, which
decreases what I can see by at times quite a bit.  Some people have reported
that using RainX and/or anti-fogging compounds help quite a bit.  Cleaning
the visor correctly on a regular basis also cuts down on this problem, or at
last resort getting a new visor.  Not sure what else to recommend, as mist
forming on my visor has been a big problem where there's not water/speed
moving to get it off, and the traffic is such that I can't readily take my
hands off the grips to wipe my visor when it gets bad.  Of course, this
really only happens when it's raining (often up here), but may not be
applicable to you.

P: Eyes not adapting to darkness quickly.
A: I've had this happen more often as I get older and work with computers
more - I have a harder time getting my eyes to night-adapt and to focus
ahead.  For me being tired at the end of a long day makes this work.
Perhaps giving your eyes time to adjust before starting out may help.  I
also notice the more I move my eyes about and actively scan the better might
night vision adapts - e.g. if I just focus on what's ahead of me I have a
harder time adapting.

Unfortunately losing night vision does happen as we get older and the lenses
get more rigid (IIRtC). If you correct the above and still have this problem
it might be time to have your eyes checked, and I don't mean that as a slam
but as a concern.

For me, I'm also driving slower at night especially on roads I'm not
familiar with, but I realize that for me at least while I can't do much
about the loss of night vision, I can at least get bulbs that will increase
how much of the road ahead of me I can see.

My $.02 anyway, other may have more clarity on the issue.

Paul
'01 BRG ST