Re: [ST] AMA, what I don't like

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Charlie McCullough wrote:

> While I myself have reservations about some of this, she feels (obviously)
> more strongly about it - to the point that she perceives that this
> outweighs the "good" that the AMA does....

Puh-leeeze!  Perhaps she doesn't know what all the "good" the AMA is doing
for us is?  I am not a politically motivated motorcyclist by any means,
but I know there are dozens of fights the AMA takes on to protect my
rights to ride every year.  The recent battles against insurance companies
that want to disallow benefits to us if hurt riding come to mind (and this
battle is coming back up *again*), the recent withdrawal of that
proposition in AZ to make some of us unwilling organ donors, the defeat in
VA that would have prohibited cycles on some roads, and lots more I don't
pay attention to because I don't have to thanks to them!

I for one am quite sure the good outweighs the bad, and think she needs to
look again since she feels so strongly about it.  I agree, they aren't the
best voice, but they are the only voice and we really should do our part
to keep it a strong voice.

Wish I could put it better but I'm not the activist some of the others out
there are.  BTW, if you missed Bike Week last night, catch the rerun as
they talk about the AMA's office in DC quite a bit.

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail