[ST] Night Riding Redux

...or never write a post about anything serious after an exhausting two days, working out, plus two glasses of Syrah.

Let me restate so it makes some sense...<g>

The issue wasn't that Dale was uber-fast (although he is a quick rider); he was admirably smooth and in control the whole time I had him in sight.

The issue was that my own riding deteriorated wildly...in terms of smoothness, control, the mental sense of 'being on' the bike that makes me comfortable with it.

I _never_ trust the road, but I still rely a lot on my own observation of it, and when my ability to observe degrades...instead of 'smoothly' pulling my 'envelope' inward, I got choppy, off balance, etc. etc. ... all the things I watch in riders I'm wary of.

So my issue isn't how to ride at night _fast_, it's how to ride at night _smooth_.

..I have a project!!

Interesting ride in this morning, seriously gusty winds in Malibu; I'd estimate gusts up above 40kt (watching the SUV's get moved around). Was an interesting reminder that keeping the upper body and shoulders limp is even more critical when it's windy; that way I can get pushed around and not feed input to the bars.

Marc D