[ST] Running without oil

Hi,

I need you folks' opinion on something. Today I called my local
dealer because my 01RS (still under warranty) was having a minor
wiring problem. It was a rusty alternator connector causing severe
wire overheating (to the point of melting the insulation) but should
be an easy fix. I noticed it while changing the oil. So I called the
dealer, and the service manager siad"sure, we better come and pick it
up, I think we can do it this afternoon." I said, "the oil is still
draining, can you do it Monday?" In an effort to save me the cost of
the oil he pointed out that if they had to replace the alternator
they would have to drain the oil anyway, and they could just pick it
up the way it was. I was at work by this time, and phoned my wife and
asked her to move the drain tray etc. for the pickup.

So the pick up guy arrives, gets the bike, and proceeds to DRIVE it
onto the truck. Yup, without any oil AT ALL in the motor-- even the
filter was off. So how much damage has been done, and what is a
reasonable recompense for this? The bike has 6000 miles and was very
carefully ridden in, and has never been abused or even wheeled (which
can cause oil starvation). The problem is that even if the bike
sounds okay now, there could have been considerable damage to all the
plain bearings. Of course, the 955 motor has a great reputation for
being bulletproof, but without oil? What do you guys think? How angry
should I be about this? Right now I'm spitting nails and expecting at
least a new motor. Over-reaction?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ralf

01RS (maybe)