Re: [ST] Running without oil

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:25:06PM -0600, Ralf St.Clair wrote:
> So the pick up guy arrives, gets the bike, and proceeds to DRIVE it
> onto the truck. Yup, without any oil AT ALL in the motor-- even the
> filter was off. So how much damage has been done, and what is a
> reasonable recompense for this?

FWIW, there's a story of an ST owner who had an oil change done in
colorado, rode home to TX, and then learned that they'd forgot to put
oil back in his engine.  Essentially, 1700 miles on a teaspoonful of
oil.  So, maybe there's nothing to worry about.

(of course, the obvious question is why did the oil light not come on
for him or your pickup driver?)

However, if this was my bike and a representative of the dealer did this
to it, I would be LIVID and demand compensation.  Stick to your guns and
do not let them off the hook with any story about how it probably didn't
hurt.  Tell them to put their money where there mouth is if they're so
confident.  Easiest way I can think of is with a free extended warranty.

That way, if your bike starts burning oil later on, you have a recourse.

Good luck.  I hope you have a good dealer willing to resolve this and
that you don't have to call upon ToA for support.

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX