Re: [ST] Running without oil

Ralf St.Clair wrote:
> So the pick up guy arrives, gets the bike, and proceeds to DRIVE it onto
> the truck. Yup, without any oil AT ALL in the motor-- even the filter
> was off. So how much damage has been done, and what is a reasonable
> recompense for this?

Ralf, I'd be pretty angry, too, but as others have pointed out, there
was probably not any significant wear or damage done (assuming fairly
low RPMs and a short run time). The dealership clearly dropped the ball
and is responsible for violating your engine warranty (the "abuse"
clause) and should make ammends.

Rebuilding the entire engine is rather extreme, though; I agree with
Brian D. that probably the best thing for all parties is for the
dealership to buy you an extended warranty on the engine and tranny.
Make sure the plan includes coverage for burning oil, not just
catastrophic failure. It may be hard to find such coverage, though; you
may need to get an additional letter signed by the service manager/owner
to cover this. Come up with a objective metric, like "no more than
1/2-qt. every 6,000 miles."
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Jose, CA (USA)