[ST] want to like an ST

Y'all:

Your advice, please...

I've been thinking for some time about trading my T-595 Daytona for
something a bit "calmer," and more of the sport-touring
variety.  Obviously, the Sprint ST is a likely candidate.  My nearest
dealer (90 miles away) has two new left-overs on the floor, a 2001 and a
2002, both priced in the low $9000 range.  I test rode the 2001 a few weeks
ago.

My positive impressions were: excellent power at all rev ranges,
particularly down low.  Smooth engine, nice and quiet but very
muscular.  Good handling (although on a test ride, I didn't push it).  Nice
appearance.

My negative impressions were two, one possibly fix-able and the other not.

The first was the placement of the handlebars, which were too far forward
and angled downward too much.  I'm short (five feet, five inches), so the
bars are a real stretch for me.  I'm under the impression that GenMar
risers will help some, but I'm concerned they won't help enough to take the
pressure off my wrists on longer rides.  So I'd be interested in anyone's
impressions of them.  Also, are there any aftermarket bars with
adjustments, like the BMW bars?

Second, the instrumentation was difficult to see and use.  The speedometer,
if my memory serves me, registered to 180 in ten mph increments.  This
seems silly to me, as the bike won't go that fast.  Also, from my limited
experience at triple-digit speeds, the last thing I was looking at was my
speedometer!  The problem, though, is that the digits are too small and
close together to read with any accuracy.  The digital clock is too small
and dimly lit, and the warning lights are also too dim.  These things
appear not to have remedies, but merely need to be adjusted to.  Any thoughts?

I really want to like this bike and am aware of the excellent ownership
loyalty.  But at the same time, I'm trying to be a careful shopper to end
up with something I'll like long-term.  Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Michael

Michael S. Abraham
Blacksburg, VA
  *      Bike-aholic