Re: Tubular Bars (was Re: [ST] want to like an ST)

"James" wrote:
> Hey Rick,
>
> I think others might find your tubular bars setup a good thing
to add to
> the body of knowledge.  Would you mind adding that info to the
list?

Happy to!  From the original post, last summer:

Condition:  Abused, aging body won't tolerate the ST's
lean-forward riding position for more than an hour, even with
GenMar risers.

Solution:  Fitted Heli Bar's bar adapters [US$140.00], a longer
Trophy brake line and installed a $10.00 set of used bars [doner
m/c unknown] which have the following specs:  Width 745mm [29
3/8"]; Height 210mm [8 1/4"]; Rise 90mm [3 1/2"]; Sweep 130mm [5
1/8"].  See the Renthal website
http://www.renthal.com/products/hbdims/rddims.htm
for an illustration of how these measurements are taken.

Result:  An ST with the riding position of a 'standard'
motorcycle.  How much different is the grip location?  The grips
are even with the *top* of the tank and with the front wheel
straight, a line drawn between ends of the bars passes 50mm [2"]
forward of the gas cap outer ring.

Pros:  No problems with handling or stability & the steering is
lighter with the longer bars.  Airflow around the helmet & hands
with the Zero Gravity ST screen installed is agreeable.  My
Corbin seat is now a major improvement over the stocker.  With
stock bars it was uncomfortable.  I was able to use the stock
clutch cable by rerouting it over the top of the upper triple
clamp.

Cons:  These bars have a little too much sweep, resulting in very
slight interference with the underside of the windshield side
braces and the switches just touch the sides of the tank at full
lock.  I've fitted stick-on foam pads to the switches to protect
the tank in the event of an "incident".

Overall impression:  I'm delighted!  The riding position is much
more relaxed than a Speed Triple & I still have the ST's
character and weather protection.  Color me happy!

Contact me off-list if you'd like photos.

- -Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.
I have come to realize that it bears a very close
resemblance to the first.
- -Unknown