RE: [ST] want to like an ST

> I've been thinking for some time about trading my T-595 Daytona for
> something a bit "calmer," and more of the sport-touring
> variety.  Obviously, the Sprint ST is a likely candidate.

Same thoughts for me as a basis. Plus the mandatory top case I need for a
new job.

For the moment I have the Daytona and a '01 sprint ST. I choose a 2001 for a
good second-hand deal and cause french press was very disappointed with
tests of 2002 models. bad notes were on engine and suspension.

The + for me:
The ST is one of the best bike I owned for multi-purpose usage: sport,
commute, trips, ... Weight is not a problem. ST seems to be easier than the
Daytona and in most conditions faster (easier control on bars, stock
suspensions easier on our french bumpy roads).

The - for me:
Stock suspension and stock settings are not the best of the market. You know
that. Daytona needs also at least suspension to be set up correctly.

gearbox is a pain on the ST. It is not the best thing on the Daytona, but is
far better. I try to put the Daytona lever on the ST, but my left foot is
not agree with the place it has to shift gears.

stock lights are not the best of the market. I found them less efficient
than the Daytona.

The ST is the forth Triumph I own and ... it is the first one I am
disappointed with about character point of view. Better than an blackbird
but far from the daytona 1200 I exchanged with. Frankly, I had a test ride
of an ST2 and I was on the point to buy something else than a Triumph.
Commuting in big cities with traffic jam made me vote for Triumph build
quality. It was a reasonnable choice. But I think I hate to make a choice by
reason... ;)

The driving position is more comfortable than the Daytona. I personnaly had
back pain with the ST. Straight position stimulates more my back that the
Daytona. No comparison for wrists of course. The ST enables long trips with
less tiredness.

In conclusion, having two, I am not on the point to sell the Daytona. I like
*her* too much.
... Even If, I actually use the ST to commute (-3?C / 26?F this morning,
90km per day). Thanks to heated grips..

Before deciding for the ST, Try an RS. near as light as a Daytona. cheaper
than ST.

Pascal Auger
'00 silver Daytona 955
'01 blue Sprint ST