Re: [ST] Re: Duc 999/matte black

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:22:28 -0800, peter.chittum@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Flat black brings the lines of the vehicle out much better than a
>> high-gloss finish does.
>
>Certainly an interesting color. Not sure I'd be interested in it or that
>I agree with your assessment. At the very most, you might be mistaken for
>taking a new "prototype" for a test drive and get featured in one of the
>bike rags. I can see it now, "looks like a Sprint, but has no belly
>pan!"

It was kinda a 'wild hair' project for me. I was getting tired of the
look, but didn't want to get rid of the bike, so I thought I would try
flat black. I figured that, if it didn't work out, I'd already have it
prepped and primerd for some other look. Turns out I liked it just
fine.

>Actually, I do kind of like the no-belly-pan look. Did you do anything
>to finish it off, or did you just pull off the panels?

Just pulled the panels off. A friend of mine commented on how nicely
the lines of the bike work with the belly pan removed. The angle of
the bottom of the side panels matches the angle of the underside of
the rear cowling. After seeing it that way, I just couldn't bring
myself to go back to the overweight-guppy look of the bike with the
pan installed.

The only things I've done to it are:

 - Made a set of bar risers. Kinda like the Gen-Mar ones, but only 1"
high.
 - Ohlins shock.
 - 15W oil in the forks.
 - Ride the piss out of it.

>I've been toying with the possibility pulling off the side panels
>and keeping the belly pan just to see how it looks.

I don't think the belly pan will stay on like that unless you build a
bracket to hold the front up. The belly pan has a kinda nasty-looking
lip on the top of it, too. At least mine did.