Re: [ST] Double Damn!

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:58:25AM -0800, Just Daetrin wrote:
> I also noticed a little oil dripping from the bike - never noticed any oil
> underneath the bike before, so it may be a new leak, maybe not.

Is your chain guard around the front sprocket all greasy?  Sometimes
that grease will melt, drip and look like the bike is leaking oil.
Also, the sprocket shaft seal there can leak.  Also, the bike can leak
from crankcase bolts (there was a recall for that, but I think it was
just 99's).  Or the bike can leak oil out of the airbox overflow tube if
the oil level was overfilled or your crankcase breather valve is
leaking.

> And I can't find my manual anywhere.  Does anyone know exactly where
> on the site glass the min/max oil levels are?

The sight glass should be by the rear brake lever.  Make sure the bike
is on level ground and centered or centerstand when you read it.

> Also, can I presume that since no idiot light
> went on that there was atill a bit of oil in there and my engine isn't
> ruined?

If oil is not pouring from the bike and you can see any oil at all in
the sightglass, you probably didn't lose enough to do any harm.

> Lastly... I have 10,600 miles on the bike.  How soon before 12,000 would it
> be OK to have the 12k service done, and any idea on what the cost should be?

I had mine done at 10.5k miles.  Cost was around $350.

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX