Re: [ST] leaky radiator ...help!

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:10:02PM +0100, Jonathan.Schulster@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Some of you may remember me from way back (1999) when I was on the list for
> quite a while. I still have my ST :) but it seems to have suffered the
> humiliating fate of springing a small leak in the radiator :(

> The leak is so small it does not noticeably lose water, however, there is a
> white deposit over the inside of the left fairing, and when things warm up I can
> feel steam flowing past my left leg (nice if its winter, but a pain in summer!).

First off, just the obvious question, do you *know* that the radiator is
cracked somewhere and not just a weeping hose?

> b) is there an alternative to a new (and very expensive) radiator?

Have you emailed jacklilley to see what they'd charge for a radiator?
Might also try moto salvage yards.

Or the most obvious (and cheapest) answer ... JB WELD!

> c) mine went about 3yrs and 2 weeks after the bike was bought.  Do
> Triumph accept this is a manufacturing fault due to the warping of the
> frame or stress fracture of the radiator brackets?

It wouldn't hurt to try, especially if you have a good dealer, but I
can't see triumph fixing it out of warranty.  So far as I know, this
isn't even something common like the plastic fuel fittings snapping off.

> d) should I just bin my ST and by a VFR? :(

I can understand not having confidence in your bike on long distance
trips being a downer, but I think I'd just fix the radiator before I'd
get a whole new bike.  (and note my sig)

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX