[ST] Riding at last

Time for a short story,,,,

    Stay with me, it's got a good ending!

    I'd had a cold or something like it that just wouldn't let go for the
last few weeks. The weather was going to be perfect so even though I still
felt a bit hammered I decided to ride the ST to work. I knew I'd get to
leave early and take a short ride on the way home. Sure enough I got out of
work around 4pm and the day was still warm and clear. My mind was all mushy
with work and personal problems(anybody else have teenagers?) so I headed up
South 14 highway just outside of town(Albuquerque, NM) to clear my head. I
hadn't ridden much over the last two months so everything felt new and
fresh. Traffic was light going out but then I finally caught a couple of
slow moving trucks so I decided to pull over and head back after I let the
highway clear. I always give a good look over my shoulder before pulling a
u-turn and all was clear. I sat there taking in the beauty and the fun of
riding until a car started coming my way, so I pulled out before he got to
me so the road would be clear for a bit of fast cornering and fun! Now there
are lots of bikes that are fun to ride and my ST is definitely one of them,
so I started off at a good clip. Mostly gentle sweepers in the 30 to 40 mph
posted range, translating into about double that on the ST. Man there is
nothing else on the ground I know of that can clear my head and return my
perspective faster than a twisty road and a willing bike. It was perfect,
going just fast enough to smile and laugh out loud but no tire sliding or
crazy stuff, and then I see at the entrance to the next corner on the right
shoulder, an older blue Chevy pickup, just sitting there or was it inching
along, I couldn't quite tell. Something in the back of my brain suggested,
slow down, so I did and sure as shit she pulled a u-turn right, and I mean
right in front of me! She even apologized to me through the window as she
did it. Nice girl, just didn't see me. I rode the two miles home and thanked
the motorcycling gods once again. What a great day!!

A special hello to Don Olson from a fellow Olson, maybe we're related!?
Mark Olson
01BRGST(DRGNFLY)
79Bonnie(for sale)