RE: [ST] fjr, again

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Trevor Adams wrote:

> Sorry, I can't resist having a go !!!!!

eh, same here :-)

> I read with interest, the comments about the "shortcomings" of
> bikes, and I am not being Triumph or Sprint specific here. I
> sit on a number of forums and have owned a number of bikes. I
> am also involved with Historic racers. If you want to know how
> good your modern bike is, go ride one that is 20 YO, then 30YO,
> then 40YO, get my drift.

Yup, that's my point the ST is using 10 YO technology.

> The motorcycle manufacturer is challenged with several factors
> when offering a product. Cost, Handling, performance, styling
> to name a few. All a compromise. The buyer also has a diverse
> range of motivating factors for his purchase and comes in all
> shapes, sizes, weights and wants. The manufacturer can only
> provide a product that out of the box provides a reasonable
> compromise of all the factors mentioned. If the bike does not
> suit, that is why over the years they have built more
> adjustability into the product. If the adjustments don't suit,
> that's what aftermarket products are for. You pay more to get
> more so to speak. The perfect bike is an illusion as the riders
> expectations are so diverse. What is also assumed in much of
> the responses, is that bikes spec are the measurement of why
> people buy bikes. Some of us will trade some performance for a
> devotion to a brand, or simply just that they like the looks.

Yup, completely agree, the thing that gets me is that the
Daytona is only a couple hundred bucks (US) more expensive, if
that. So we can assume the technology that is going into a lower
volume production bike, the Daytona is not significantly more
expensive, so the only compromise is that many ST riders are
will to spend an extra $400 to $1500 US to get decent
suspension, oooppps.

> On the FJR vs. ST issue. I rode the FJR and like the FJR I
> purchased a Sept 02 red ST, polished rims, Staintune pipe, seat
> cowl, genuine soft panniers, Ventura rack and tank protector on
> the road for Aus$18900.00 The FJR was $23000.00. That has to

See above, after market suspension can eat up the difference
pretty damn quickly. For me the 3 box setup on the FJR, with
heated grips (me doing the 3 box/grips install on the ST, where
the 3 box setup installation is a bitch, right STeve, or where I
only had to install the top box and grips on the FJR) was about
a $1700 OTD (US funds) difference.

But wait, there's more, the ST was last years model. And so far
it would appear that the FJR will hold its value better. Of
course, I do not intend to sell the FJR before 100k miles, so
that point is pretty moot.

Now, if I where to get a brand new '03 ST, pay MSRP for the
bike, and luggage, and grips (no JL allowed here), and to be
fair I did not pay delivery or shipping on the FJR so we will
leave that out, a new ST would have cost me the same amount as
the FJR.

So here, in the US, one of Triumphs main markets, the
competition is out there, and out there big. And they are going
after market share in this *new* market called sport touring.
Which Triumph helped to start, but I fear is giving to the
Japanese as they (Triumph) are going after markets

> have an influence on many buyers ! The extra power ? With a
> maximum speed of 110 Kp/h in Australia and hefty fines, I had
> to question the benefit. I can get to the limit just changing
> into second and a little over 3 seconds. That will do me fine.

Yeah, but who says you have to slow down for the corners :-)

> So buy the bike you like, change on it what you don't, and
> respect that there are others with a different view than your
> own and collectively enjoy what is the most fun you can have
> with your clothes on :-). The pursuit of an always better
> thing, often leaves you never happy with what you have.

Exactly, the important thing here is that

a) we are on two wheels!

b) we are moto sluts, where we can appreciate all bikes, even
HD's

c) we all love Triumph, believe it or not, Mr. Bloor's team over
in England has a lot of potential, and I completely agree with
Brian D. They are being too agressive with new markets, and they
risk alienating their customers, like me.

> How many of you guys have read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
> Maintenance ? What is Quality. how do you measure it ?

Hmmm, yes, I agree grasshopper. Most difficult questions we
pose.

All I can say is what I believe, and I never said I speak for
all. All I know is I do speak for myself, all 245 lbs, 5'11",
Canadian living in Dallas Texas.

> Stay Upright

Amen! to all!

Tom