Re: [ST] what has been going on with the "digest" version

Folks, we're communicating over this thing called "The Internet." It
doesn't guarantee any particular quality of service. Emails sent to the
list don't always go directly from you to the list server; they may have
to go through several intermediate computers, any one of which may be
puking bits on the floor and generally making computer administrators
wail and tear their hair out.

Similarly, emails sent from the ST list server to each and every one of
you are likely to have to go through several intermediate computers
before they reach you. Again, there are multiple opportunities for these
computers to selfishly hold on to our precious emails for reasons beyond
human understanding. (There's rumor that Bill Gates may know, but he
doesn't seem to be talking.)

Lastly, once the cherished list email finally reaches you, its quite
likely that your email program sorts your incoming email by the time it
was sent. Unfortunately, different computers have different ideas of
what is the correct time. Hence, during rapid email exchanges--always of
a moderate manner on our list, of course--it is quite possible that
someone may send an email reply that gets stamped with a time and date
that is earlier than the original message's. This results in the reply
showing up in your "Inbox" ahead of the original message.

If the individual messages within any single digest are ordered
correctly, then rest assured that everything is happy with our list
server. However, if you are receiving the digests out of order it likely
indicates that some computer between you and the list server is having a
hard time. There's nothing you can do about it, short of saying a small
prayer for the poor system administrator whose pager is going off for
the third time in the middle of the night.
- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Jose, CA (USA)
"The problem with smoking guns is that you can
not find them until after they have been fired."