Re: [ST] Progressive surprised me

Lisa,

Very good point! And this is something that very few people look
at, if you make a decent income, and/or have few dependants, you
should be very carefull with how much liability insurance you
have. I think I have mine up to 100/300/100 on the bike, and
higher in the cages (250/500/250), IIRC, can't remember of hand,
highest you can go within reason IIRC. When I first moved down
here and was making a fair bit less money, I picked a policy for
my truck that sorta made sense (did not know nearly as much
about these things as I do now), and over a couple years I
finally noticed that my Farmers agent reduce the libability
coverage to the minimum, my guess is to keep the rates from
raising to much. You guessed it, I went to another insurance
company very quickly.

Anyway, protect yourself, I do not know of anyone on a bike that
was sued by someone, but it is possible, and getting hit with a
$100k bill because you save $40/year as you went with $40K
worth of liability insurance would defiantely put a crimp is
getting a new ZX10r or Daytona 1200! Or maybe a Rossi V5 replica,
or a Fatboy, yeah, yeah, got a bit carried away there.

On a more pleasant note, rode to work today, and wholy sheep
dip, that FJR is quick!

Tom

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Richard & Lisa White wrote:

> At the end of February, I'll be looking for new insurance
> quotes. Richard & I are with Dairyland, and we do have
> increased limits because of my occupation, but we're paying
> $700 PER BIKE for a year's worth of insurance. The lowest we've
> every had it was $600 per year. I guess I'll check with
> Progressive (not expecting any better) and USAA. We do live in
> the most expensive insurance county in Texas, but this
> difference in cost is TOO MUCH!!! If it goes any higher than
> this, we're going to start carrying liability only and hope we
> don't drop one!

 Thomas Emberson, Dallas, TX
 '00 Yamaha WR400F (self abuse in style)
 '01 Suzuki TL1000s
 '03 Yamaha FJR1300

 sold: '98 ZX6e, '99 ZX9r, '95 EX500
 killed by rocks: '01 BRG Sprint ST (18 months old, 25,152 miles)

End of st-digest V2002 #747