Re: [ST] Heated gear

Rick, you should get your jacket rewired for a dual controller. I have the
Gerbings jacket & gloves. When I first got them I could not get the
temperatures to match. After a call to Gerbings I found the answer. Gerbings
wired my jacket with two inputs. Now the gloves are on a separate circuit
from the gloves. I also go the dual heat troller, so now one knob for the jacket
and one for the gloves. This is the perfect solution.

David W. Funk
'00 Triumph Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:45:13 -0800, Rick & Joyce wrote:

>When I sprung for a Gerbings heated jacket liner at the Seattle
>M/C show, I also picked up a couple of adaptors which I modified
>to plug my 20 yr. old Widder gloves to the Gerbings sleeve-end
>connectors.
>
>Imagine my surprise the next day when the jacket liner didn't
>seem to work.  I kept turning up the heat troller & finally
>started to feel a bit of warmth on my upper body but by this time
>my hands were medium-rare!  I borrowed a friend's Gerbings gloves
>& they seem to heat up to about the same temp as the jacket
>liner, so it would appear that my old Widders must use higher
>resistance wire.  Decision time.
>
>The choices I see are:
>    a) Buy Gerbings gloves (22w draw, $139 + shipping)
>http://www.gerbing.com/Pages/gloves.html  This is the simplest (&
>most costly) solution but I prefer the look & construction of the
>Widder Gloves.
>
>    b) Buy new Widder gloves (20w draw $90 + shipping)
>http://www.widder.com/html/Product/LectricG/index.htm
>
>    c) Buy another heat troller & interrupt the wiring to the
>sleeve-end connectors (likely voiding the jacket liner's
>wararanty) so I can use my old Widders (about $70 + shipping)
>
>I'm not considering heated grips.  I had them on my Trophy & the
>backs of my hands were still cold.
>
>Here's the question.  Any liSTeRS out there have experience using
>recent-production Widder Gloves with a Gerbings jacket liner?  Do
>they heat up at about the same rate?
>
>Any feedback will be appreciated.
>-Rick in Oregon
>'01 Sprint ST