Re: [ST] new problem with sons new ST

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:44:00AM -0800, don draper wrote:
>                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>  Yesterday was so nice that we rolled out the bikes for a ride;  the
> ST fired right up and we all enjoyed a pleasant ride over to Carson
> City for breakfast. After breakfast tho, the ST was not a happy
> camper. It started OK, but was missing like crazy and wouldn't pull
> against a load.  When you get it rolling it does OK, not great, but
> it doesn't backfire or quit running. It just doesn't have any power,
> won't rev past about 5 or 6K and acts like a very unhappy motorcycle.
>
>  Pulling away from a stop is very difficult. You have to try to keep
> the revs at about 5 or 6k and slip the clutch as it lurches and jerks
> it's way along.  It can take a full block, on level ground, to coax
> it up to 25 mph.  It will idle, and it doesn't backfire, it just
> won't pull. It's almost completely powerless between 1.5k and 4k RPM.
> I managed to nurse it around the area and home again, about fifty
> miles in all, but it was a real struggle.

Mine did this once, but wouldn't hold an idle.  I kept restarting it and
it would die.  Took turning the key off to reset the computer, which was
having some sort of hiccup.  Never happened again.

But then he says:
> The key had been cycled off and on about 10 times
> throughout the day, during that fifty miles, without any change.

So, hrm...

> was when we left The LookOut and turned off on that little goat
> trail. It ran like that until we got to the flats and then cleared
> itself out so I didn't worry about it any more. But thinking on it
> now, it might be significant that BOTH TIMES it
> started fine, ran fine and then misbehaved after the first stop.

The fact that it ran rough on a dirt road makes me wonder if the
vibrations shook some connector loose.

It kinda sounds like the bike is maybe running on less than three
cylinders, so maybe a coil wire came loose, or something with the
ignition switch.  (Does grabbing the wiring harness coming out of the
bottom of the ign switch and jiggling them cause it to clear up or start
bogging down?)

I guess the obvious question is, can he take it to a dealer to have it
looked at, since it's still under warranty?

Laters,
Brian
- --
Euless, TX