Re: [ST] new problem with sons new ST

At 02:44 PM 1/21/03, don draper wrote:

>  I don't think it's bad gas, based on the fact that it ran great on
>the way into Carson City. I did add fresh gas to to it, hoping that
>it might help, but it didn't make any difference. (I added Stabil
>when I got it back from your house last month, so the gas shoulda
>been OK.)  The key had been cycled off and on about 10 times
>throughout the day, during that fifty miles, without any change.

Just a note........
Adding fresh gas to "bad gas" won't necessarily help (if it's "bad gas").
Had a friend develop similar symptoms on a long trip from Atlanta to New
England last summer. Got worse and worse. We finally stopped in Harrisburg,
PA and got a new fuel filter. Got to that evenings destination (a
campground) and pulled the fuel tank intending to replace the fuel filter.
Found water/sludge in the bottom of the tank at the inlet. Drained it,
replaced the fuel filter. Fired up and ran great rest of trip. I don't
think the fuel filter really was the cause though it certainly didn't hurt.
If there's water/sludge in there, adding more "fresh" gas (or Stabil) won't
help.....will still stay/remain at the bottom of tank at inlet.

By all means, check engine management (i.e. cycle computer with ignition
key as others suggest) but the kind of sputtering/loss of power you're
describing is exactly symptoms of bad fuel. Easy enough to check. Just
remove the tank and drain it......

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA#90
Duc 748