[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #786

Hey all,

I'm up for my 12k mile service in about 600 miles. I don't have the money to
invest in the racetech fork upgrade (much as I'd like to). However, several
people have talked about using a heavier weight oil instead of the standard
weight to improve rebound/compression damping.

Has anyone tried this? I checked the Sprint service manual, so I know the
oil spec given there. Does anyone have a suggestion or type of oil to
substitute, so I can pass on the info to the mechanic?

Thanks,

Peter Chittum - '01 BRG Sprint ST
San Jose, CA, USA

Heavier oil will make the forks' bad characteristics worse. The problem is, too soft springs and too much compression
damping. If you can't get the full Mony fork job, just get the springs, about 90 or 95 kg/cm or whatever they are measured
in, depending on your weight. Check the Race Tech web site for details. That will improve the forks a lot and you may
ectually want a lighter fork oil. The springs run about $100.
Bare

End of st-digest V2002 #788