RE: [ST] Re: The Dragon/Deals Gap

Sorry for the long post...

I pretty much agree with Bryce, Garry.  No way would I take my Sprint to do
track days.  I've been wanting to get a less expensive bike to gain
experience at track days but just can't right now.  Last Saturday almost had
me as another example of how bad a "low speed" collision can be.  Below is a
note I posted to the KRAT (Knoxville RAT Club) mail list.

Just an FYI folks.

Last Saturday morning, I got out of town around 7:20am and went to pay my
respects to the Dragon.  When I left there was so much fog I had to wipe my
visor a good bit, but by the time I got to the beginning there was no fog
and the road was dry.  I have stopped riding the Dragon on Sat and Sun
because there is simply too much traffic, and it gets increasingly
dangerous.  I made 4 round trips and was off the Dragon by 10:30.  First
time I ever put a peg feeler down on the Sprint!  T'was a big surprise.  I
should be able to easily do it running a Dunlop D208 on the rear and a
BattleAx on the front, but it's not easy letting go.

I will be going again this Friday, but want to do it in the morning again,
as I think the place will be swarming with bikers and cages later on.  I'll
be leaving my house around 6:30 (West Knoxville), and my plan is to get in
several good runs.

I plan on getting in at least 4-6 round trips but am open to hitting the
Cherohala also (I've never been), but I want to be home NLT 12 or 1pm.  My
goal is simply to get in a lot of seat time to increasingly familiarize
myself with the bike and tires.

I did have one close call.  While riding anywhere (and esp at the Dragon) I
consider the lane to be about 2/3rds the actual width shown (i.e., from
double yellow to white line).  I'd also note that they have restriped the
lines!  However, it only takes a moment's inattention on one curve to screw
up royally.  Such almost happened to me on a right-hander.

Somewhere around curve #1500, I found myself going almost to the line with
the tires and my body was somehow out of position to lean in further to
bring it back.  It was at that moment that a large SUV was coming out of his
s-curve and doing an RHander, also.  Yikes!!  For some reason I can't lean,
so I throw my leg out and drag the pavement with the sole of my foot trying
desperately to increase the lean angle and whatever else good can happen by
trying to get some weight on the inside.  Thankfully, he wasn't in my lane
OR on the line or I might have been toast!  It was perfect timing for me to
be taken out.  As it was I couldn't believe he didn't at least take my left
bag off.  Like I said, I try hard to be very responsible when riding, but a
moment's inattention is all it takes.  Sheesh.  Thank you, Lord.

You all have a blessed week,
James

> -----End Original Message-----

I dunno.  Maybe I'm getting too confident on the Dragon.  I also back off
going around blind right handers (which is what I was doing) and backing off
on left-handers when I see someone coming.  Of course, these are both so
that if I lose it I won't go sliding under/into a cage.

I probably would have been injured if we would have touched, even though I
was going only around 20-30mph.  I really would feel much safer lowsiding
across the pavement into the grass/gravel at 60 than into an SUV with both
going 30 in opposite directions.

James
 '02 Sprint ST