RE: [ST] Re: The Dragon/Deals Gap

>Personally, I *don't* want to ride my bike on a race track. Tracks
>seem to be made for much higher speeds than I'm interested in. I
>have zero interest in doing 140+mph on a straight, or 100+mph
>sweepers.

Of the three tracks I've been on, Laguna, Sears Point, and
Thunderhill, my top speed was probably 120, and the fastest corners
were probably taken at 90. Average speeds were probably around 70.
These are all tight road courses with no real long straights. Even
though that is much faster than what you would do on the street
legally, it is a far safer feeling since you can concentrate totally
on your riding without the worries of cops, gravel, traffic, etc.

Trackdays split the attendants into groups, usually on speed so you
don't need to feel like you're going to be holding up anyone. On the
trackdays that I went to there was always enough room on the track
that unless you wanted to ride with someone, it was easy to find a
clearing.

Actually racing was a different story and I found it was safer to
ride on the street than race, due to the other racers getting in over
their heads. But the relaxed atmosphere at track days since no
trophies are being given out means you can and should ride your own
pace.

Other benefits of riding on a closed course is that you get to
repeatedly attack the same corners over and over so you can learn
them and get the satisfaction of doing them better and better as the
day goes on. There is also a great comfort in knowing that there is
an ambulance on scene in case the worst happens.
- --
Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643