RE: [ST] fuel leak

> From Don:
>     It's a common misconception that a fuel leak on a bike presents a
> risk of fire but it has no basis in fact.

I can appreciate this. I know that gasoline is more likely to evaporate than
burn in a super hot environment. Still, the towing fee is a small price to
pay for the assurance it will arrive in one piece. I've heard enough stories
of char-broiled triumph and seen one too many pictures to ride it up there
myself. I know that there have not been a lot of these cases, but I was
damned if I was going to become one.

> From Mort:
> It may not be the fuel disconnects.  On hot days I had a problem with a
> strong smell of gas.

It was, in fact, the fuel disconnects. They were replaced by some steel
ones. Given that my girlfriend also smelled something burning, I'm not
surprised. Glad to have that taken care of.

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA