[ST] gas, helmets, etc.

<There's nothing on an engine, even dripping on a hot exhaust, that will
set off a mixture with the possible exception of a backfire.>
my '99 burned to a crisp when the oil leak [from blunt force trauma
resulting from rider error] dripped on the pipe and spontaneously ignited.
my first thought was, "3 and half gallons of gas next to an open flame...i
luv ya, darlin', but i'm outta here".

KBC helmets - they own Chatterbox, build the liners to mate up. yes, they
meet the DOT standards. one of the standards is 300g max acceleration on
your brain mass in a drop test. Arai designs to 200g max. i like exceeding
the standard.

if a Shoei fits just right - try the newer Shoei, the venting is suppposed
to be improved a lot. too bad their custom paint jobs are so squidly.

<"Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per
second." >
that would be - "per second per second". [sorry - Feynman is one of my
heroes, i hadda do that]

the errant Subaru that hit the ST at the Dragon - surely the cops didn't
buy the 'i was reaching for' story? they measured the guy's skid marks? he
is paying through the nose for the bike, medical expenses, loss of
conjugal rights, pain and suffering, etc.? you have his home address?

<I was hoping that Deals Gap was actually a privately owned loop of
road... >snip
i think we need to organize an Isle of Man style race on north Georgia /
Deals Gap / etc. roads. and set aside Sundays for practice - alternate
weekends for bikes and cars. 1/2 hour north only, wait 15 minutes, run
sweeper ambulance, 1/2 hour south, clear wreckage every three hours. [i
went over the Dragon on a Sunday about 4pm and the place was nearly
deserted.]

track days are way more fun, but hey - get a track bike - an old EX500,
HawkGT, etc. so you don't mind lowsiding. no opposing traffic, no Leo's
[except fellow riders!], no Armco, run around all day and be no farther
from home...

<Non-ferrous metals and other flexible items have been the material of
choice for fuel systems on anything that I'm aware of.> brass tools,
etc...
hello? what is the piping on an oil rig made of? steel... and aluminum,
brass, etc., fittings will conduct static just like steel; i think the
non-ferrous tools are so there won't be sparks from knocking together. and
i believe the fuel fittings are plated [<cough> i PAID the dealer to put
mine in, didn't see 'em - signed, Mr. Lazy]

off to work in my flame proof suit..

bp