Re: [ST] RE: trackdays

<<
That's entirely possible. The local tracks (Beaver Run and Mid-Ohio) don't
look particularly slow/twisty to me. Just going on what I've heard/read. Met
a guy last weekend (50-ish) describing people crashing alongside him at
Beaver Run while braking for a 70mph 180 after a 140+ mph back straight. He
made it out OK, but the guys crashing took a spanking and their bikes were
trashed. Ouch...

Well these things do happen, bikes fall down, and people get in over their
heads/skills sometimes.  Street or track.  Still, I understand why the story
would give you pause.

<<
Do you guys borrow track-approved leathers and whatnot for your initial
track days or do you throw down the $500-$1000 for new leathers? It gets
pretty pricey when you add in another $300 for new tires, plus another
$200-$400 for the daily track fees (instructor-led class).

I bought a Triumph Race jacket, and Race pants, both are perfed.  Not only
for trackday, but for weekend rides during the summer.  My cordura stuff is
great for most riding, but when the temp starts to get over 80-ish, the
vents aren't enough.  You can get a good AGV suit on closeout at
http://www.helmetdepot.com/suits/cyber/index.html for around $300.  Or you
could haunt e-bay for a good deal.  I know alot of guys that have gotten
GREAT suits for real cheap off e-bay.  Also try http://www.newenough.com/
and http://www.motorcycleleatherexchange.com/  Sometimes they have great
deals too, and both are good people to do business with.  Many trackdays do
have leather rentals, so if your still not sure you'll be able to justify
buying a set of leathers outright, then give them a try.

You don't HAVE to have brand new racey tires for a trackday.  They usually
recommend the tires have less than 50% wear on them to start.  I do
trackdays on sport touring tires(Pirelli GTS, and Bridgestone BT020) and
they hold up quite good, plus it's what I normally ride on so there's even
more familiarity/comfort zone.  Sometimes you can time it to do a trackday
just after a normal replacement of tires.

There are different costs.  Trackdays(chaparones, and occational
instruction) can run between $100 and 250 a day.  CLASS, Keith Code's
California Superbike School, STAR, etc(actual riding schools) will usually
start around $275 a day.  But they are more intensive class environments,
where the trackday is more open to just ride around all day if you please.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen