[ST] Drive hesitation problem

Looking for some help diagnosing my problem.

I started my IBA 48 States ride last Wednesday and was finished Thursday
morning.  750 miles into it I started feeling a hesitation to the drive.
I'd loose about 2 mph.  I didn't hear/notice any engine missing, tach
variations, or anything else other than the hesitation.  It wasn't just one
hesitation per brief event but not real jerky either, kind of like someone
pulling your shirt tail.  It would do this for awhile and then not.  About
the time I thought it was going to be ok it started again.  New plugs and a
good thorough service about 1000 miles before the problem started.  As I was
in New England and had to get gas in each state to prove I was there I was
only adding about 2 gallons at most.  The last gas stop before the problem
was on I-95 in Connecticut was almost 2 gallons.  In New York almost another
2 gallons and in New Jersey 1 gallon.  So if it was bad gas in Connecticut
it would have been diluted to begin and the additionally diluted by the
later gas stops.  Being close to home I decided to end the trip as it would
either not get worse but not clear up and for the next 18 days I'd be
waiting for it to die at the most inopportune time or it would die on me at
midnight in the New Mexico desert.  The bike is a '00 ST with 61K on the
clock.  It was a dry day and not too hot.  I talked to the dealer and will
take it in to see if the gameboy reads anything.  But as it is not a
constant presence I'm not sure it'll show anything.

Anyone experience anything like this?  Thanks.

Doug Bailey "Hound Dawg"