[ST] Fuel filter replacement & Mobil Premium?

With the cost of a Triumph fuel filter @ $56.00 from my local dealer, what
are your opinions on the necessity of replacement @ 12,000 miles as
recommended by Triumph? I've got around 13,500 miles on my one year on the
road 2000 ST (it sat in the dealer for two years) and am considering waiting
for another year or around 24,000 miles to replace the filter. Also, the
service manager mentioned that he had experienced removing the float bowls
on several problem running bikes and discovering a lot of red gummed up
residue in bikes that had been running Mobil Premium gas. Anyone heard of
this problem? I know the ST has fuel injection. Also, I've been using Mobil
Premium almost exclusively in my fuel injected Saab turbo for at least ten
years with no problems I'm aware of. But, I was wondering if there is a
potential residue problem with Mobil Premium, might that contribute to an
early fuel filter failure? I've read Chevron is a good gas for fuel injected
motors, but it's not readily available in this area. And Mobil Speed Pass
sure is convenient on a bike.
Cheers,
Scott Alexander
'00 Red ST