[ST] Headlight switch

OK, here's a friendly debate:

serlick@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I live in the centre of a BIG city. Sometimes we get caught in traffic
jams. It makes no sense to sit with your headlights on when you aren't
moving or
>are moving at a crawl.
Not sure about that.  Having the main beam on might make the difference that
gets you noticed in someone's rear view mirror.

>Other times you might want to warm up the bike
Won't the bike warm up (slightly) faster with the lights loading the
alternator?

>or wait for someone on the shoulder of the highway.
Good point - but who knows, perhaps oncoming traffic might notice your light
and realise there are bikes on the road ahead?

>Why do you think that Triumph makes such a part for the rest of their
production?
Only because it's the norm in Europe to have light switches, I suppose.  The
legal requirement in the US to have your lights on all the time dates from
the Hurt report, I believe.

On a recent trip to the UK, it looked like about 10-20% of bikers didn't use
their lights while riding.  Now that's something I really can't understand;
having looked at the summary of the Hurt report's findings, I always try to
ride with main beam on.  My routine is to start the bike, then immediately
switch on the lights.  The only reason I switch off the lights is to reduce
the battery load when starting.

Perhaps someone from the UK can comment on why UK riders don't always use
their lights?  It seems to be a UK habit only - French, German and Swiss
riders always seem to use their lights.

Neil

End of st-digest V2002 #1102